There are 10001 ways to help protect the environment. Here are 49 quick ways to get the job done in the garden and when caring for the lawn. Of course, figuring out how to get rid of the lawn would be one of them.
1. Grow a garden Read more
2. Use an electric lawn mower Read more
3. Remove your weeds by hand
4. Use natural fertilizers Read more
5. Use natural weed killers Read more
6. Use metal watering cans not Plastic
7. Use real stone or metal decorations in garden not plastic
8. Grow your own herbs Read more
9. Use wooden bird houses instead of plastic
11. Build a greenhouse for year round growing
13. Plant native grasses and shrubs that do not require a lot of extra water Read more
14. Plant wildflowers in public areas to reduce mowing Read more
15. Use electric garden equipment rather than gas powered
16. Buy a push mower for your lawn and you won't have to drive to the gym anymore
17. Use "hand" pruners and yard tools rather than gasoline or electric-powered ones.
18. Keep yard equipment sharp and use less fuel
19. Dull cutting edges fray grass blades increasing evaporation from the grass plants.
21. Raise the lawn mower blade to at least three inches Read more
22. Leave lawn clippings after mowing to fertilize, use clippings for mulch Read more
23. Use a mulching lawn mower instead of bagging and carting off grass clippings.
24. Mulch planting beds to retain moisture and control weeds that compete for water.
25. Sweep the sidewalks and driveway instead of using a noisy, polluting blower
26. Plant native plants that are adapted to your area
27. Choose the small solar powered lights for your landscape lighting.
28. Choose a locally adaptable grass to grow
29. Replace grass with pathways in high traffic areas
30. Allow your grass to go dormant if necessary Read more
31. Create garden mini insectary Read more
32. Use recycled wood chips as mulch in the yard Read more
33. Create wildlife habitat in your yard Read more
34. Plant marigolds as a natural pesticide Read more
35 Never dump anything down a storm drain.
36. Have your septic tank pumped and system inspected regularly
38. Start an urban garden Read more
39. Buy metal and bamboo patio furniture
40. Use deck materials made from recycled plastics Read more
41. Buy your own hive: without bees the planet would last for only 60 years
42. Consider using elements of "foodscaping" instead of landscaping Read more
43. Raise chickens for their eggs Read more
44. Can your garden foods
45. Get to know your property and the creatures that live there
46. Use vinegar, salt and dish washing liquid to kill those weeds Read More
47. DIY Use Neem or garlic spray as natural insecticide
48. Use companion planting for pest control
49. Use pvc towers in small garden spaces Read More