I don’t know what you were doing Tuesday, Nov 5th, 2019. I don’t recall myself. However, I will remember that it was the day 11,000 scientists from 153 countries told us we were screwed. It was a dire warning published in BioScience Journal that climate change is going to consume us.
Actually, the most distressing part of the whole business was that it really didn’t get much play. I mean, how much have you heard and read about it. No one seemed all that upset! Just another headline. Not one person mentioned it to me. Ho Hum – another day in paradise.
Well folks, if our grandchildren die of climate related factors we know who to blame. On the other hand, for those of you who think this is an important story, the scientists were clear about what has to be done, NOW! While these six are not new they are worth another look.
"1. Replace fossil fuels with cleaner sources of energy and pursue negative emissions through carbon extraction and capture technologies.
2. Reduce emissions of pollutants like methane, soot, and hydrofluorocarbons.
3. Protect and restore Earth's coral reefs, forests, savannas, wetlands, and other ecosystems that help store carbon.
4. Reduce consumption of meat and other animal products in favor of more plant-based foods.
5. Shift economic goals from GDP growth toward sustainability and prioritize reducing inequality.
6. Lower fertility rates to lessen the impacts of population growth on emissions."
So what is the favor? I mean what can I do about all this overwhelming stuff. They expect little ol’ me to make a difference? You underestimate your yourself. You have to understand where political power comes from. When consumers make choices, business feels it and consumers do it one at a time. By the way, maybe we should stop thinking of ourselves as consumers, for god’s sake. That’s what got us into this problem. What’s the alternative? That’s a long answer but, for now, we have to make the right choices and let the market figure it out.